Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Start of My Journey..........

one small step at a time.............................

I practically grew up in bowling alleys. Reason being, I am in bowling alleys most of the time, while waiting for my two elder sisters to finish their training. Naturally, the bowling Bug got into me in no time.

The bug became so huge during the 2003 World Bowling Championship at Pyramid. My dad was one of the Lane Marshalls for the Championship. One of the days that he was not officiating, he smuggled me and my sister, Fairuz, into the alley. My sister Harini was one of the Pacer at the Championship.


Me & Ahmad of Eygpt Me & Diandra Me & Tim Mack

Waaaaaaaaah….meeting all these champions really got me all fired up to be a bowler, one day.


At first, I started off imitating my sisters’ swing, which gradually grew into swinging the house-ball, and then into throwing the house-ball towards my dad. That was when I was about 6-years old.


So how Is my Swing as a six-year-old? Got Style or not?

Sometimes much later, I was given a second-hand 6 pound plastic ball, by one of dad’s friend, and I started to mess around at the alley- hehehhehe- now playing bumper bowling.

At that time both my elder sisters were training under the Sunway Pyramid Youth Program. Not wanting to be left out, I ask my dad if I could train, together with my sisters. My dad laughed at me….and then thinking that I had no guts, my dad told me to ask Uncle Halloway’s permission, since the training program was one of Uncle Halloway’s programs.

One day, during one of my sisters training session, I saw Uncle Halloway at the alley. I went straight right up to him, and I asked him if I could join the training program. Uncle Halloway smiled at me and then handed me a 13-pound house-ball, and said….”if you can throw this ball and hit the pins, you can join the program.” I told Uncle Halloway with an innocent boyish manner…..” I have my own bowling ball and I can hit the pins!” Uncle Halloway laughs back at my remarks and then told me to ask Uncle Micky. That’s how I got my first formal training, with Sunway Megalane Junior Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment